UPDATE: At its Aug. 13 meeting, the city council decided to forego a bond election and fund various transportation projects and the design of a new police station with certificates of obligation. The FY16 budget will include funding to research options for a community center. Projects not funded this year through COs — such as the construction of new police and fire stations and a community center — could be part of a November 2016 bond election.
What will College Station look like in 10 years? And what major projects – roads, facilities and parks – are required to best meet our needs in 2025?
With growth come challenges related to mobility, infrastructure and quality-of-life amenities. Identifying and prioritizing our future needs are difficult tasks, but efforts are underway to do just that.
We Start with Citizens
In August 2014, the College Station City Council established a Capital Improvement Project Citizen Advisory Committee in preparation for a possible November 2015 bond election. The 23-member volunteer committee's mission was to recommend transportation, facility and park projects for the council to consider placing on the ballot.
The committee set out to not only address what the city must have, but also what it should have. Essentially, the committee was responsible for helping determine how our built environment will look by 2025. Some of the questions the committee sought to answer included:
- Which streets should be built or expanded to increase capacity and improve mobility?
- Would certain new streets facilitate economic development?
- Should we build new facilities or expand existing ones?
- What type of recreation and leisure facilities should we have?
The city’s last general obligation bond election in 2008 was on a seven-year schedule for project completion. However, the city council has requested that the 2015 bond issue be completed on a five-year schedule.
On May 28, the committee presented its final list of recommendations to the council, which will decide in August whether to have the bond election and what projects to include.
2015 Bond Citizen Advisory Committee Project Prioritization List
||Construction of a new police station
||UPRR grade crossings and roadway improvements
||Construction of Fire Station No. 7
||Greens Prairie Road intersection/roadway improvements
||Greens Prairie & Royder roadway safety improvements
||System-wide park improvements
||Neighborhood street safety improvements at Holick, Park Place, Anna and Glade
||Sidewalks/oversized participation funds
||FM 2818 capacity improvement
||Southeast Community Park development
||Rock Prairie Road East widening (SH6 to Medical Way)
||Holleman Drive South widening
^ page top
- CS City Council decides against November bond election (The Eagle, Aug. 14)
- CS Council Decides Against Bond Issue This November (WTAW, Aug. 14)
- No City Bond Election in College Station, Says Council (KBTX-TV, Aug. 13)
- City council weighs bond election, project funding options (City blog, July 28)
- CS Council Considers More Options to Fund Capital Projects (WTAW, July 29)
- College Station Council weighs options for funding projects (The Eagle, July 29)
- Facilities discussed as bond election decision approaches (KBTX-TV, July 10)
- CSPD could undergo costly space-expanding renovations (The Eagle, July 10)
- City Council mulls project ideas for November bond election (The Eagle, June 26)
- Mayor Nancy Berry on "Brazos Valley This Morning" (KBTX-TV, 6/10/15)
- May 28 City Council Recap (CSTV19, 6/4/15)
- College Station City Council receives bond recommendations (The Eagle, 5/29/15)
- College Station City Council Receives Bond Recommendations (WTAW, 5/28/15)
- College Station Looking for Bond Election I... (KBTX-TV, 3/2/15)
- College Station Residents Have Chance to ... (KBTX-TV, 3/1/15)
- Public input, ideas wanted for upcoming Co... (The Eagle, 2/28/15)
- College Station City Council, school district ... (The Eagle, 2/25/15)
- City Bond Election Community Forums Start... (KBTX-TV, 2/25/15)
- CS Mayor Nancy Berry on WTAW (WTAW, 1/21/15)
- CS City Council begins planning for bond pr... (The Eagle, 12/17/14)
- College Station Looking for Involved Reside... (KRHD-TV, 10/8/14)
- College Station putting together citizen co... (KYLE-TV, 10/8/14)
- Bond committee will help chart College Sta... (blog.cstx.gov, 10/7/14)